Friday, January 11, 2008

Action Blog Day

Today marks the initial Action Blog Day in which our environment becomes the prominent topic of discussion among bloggers. In my humble opinion the best way to help clean up our planet and help our environment is to plant an organic garden. Not only will a garden be a source of recycling, it will nourish your body and your mind by providing fresh, delicious, healthy food. I've had my hands in the soil for about forty years, raised a lot of the food our family of seven ate, and received the benefit of health in the process. I call my organic garden my personal health food store.
My backyard garden provides my wife and I (the kids have long ago flown the nest) with a tremendous variety of good eating. If you are contemplating putting in a garden to help both yourself and the earth, you might as well grow the most beneficial crops you possibly can. These are my picks for the top food items you can put into your body. They are not necessarily listed in any order.
GARLIC
BLUEBERRIES
CABBAGE
SWISS CHARD
BROCCOLI
SPINACH
BRUSSELS SPROUTS
BEETS
ROMAINE LETTUCE
RASPBERRIES
Garlic is on almost everybody's list for a healthy diet. No need to elaborate.
Blueberries are high in anti-oxidants. They do a good job of lowering cholesterol. High in vitamin C and potassium, they are tasty treats especially added to a bowl of oatmeal.
Cabbage is a known cancer fighting food.
Swiss Chard is one of my favorite veggies. It comes up early in spring and in my Kalamazoo garden I harvest it until late autumn. Chard promotes proper digestion and is loaded with anti-oxidants.
Brocccoli is a veggie that George Bush swears he never ate. Ah...so that's his problem.
Spinach is high in beta-catotene and benefits your heart. Popeye knew a good thing.
Brussels Sprouts likes a hard freeze so no need to coddle this gem. As good for your body as anything you can eat.
Beets provide a rich source of iron and strengthens the blood.
Romaine Lettuce is a must in a salad. Delicious and healthful. The darker the lettuce the more beneficial it is for your body. Try planting this beauty other dark greens as well.
Raspberries are not only delicious but are high in vitamin C. They also prevent strokes.
There you have it.
I've limited the list to ten items but there are many more veggies that provide much needed nutrients to the body such as beans, aspargus, onions, tomatoes, and kale. These are just my personal favorites. I guess the bottom line is this: Anything that you can grow in a garden is a million times better than processed food. The junk people buy in a supermarket comes from over 1,500 miles away. Now how can that be healthy for you? The fresher the food, the better. That makes sense, doesn't it?
If you are new to gardening, start with a small plot. Grow a few salad items like onions, leaf lettuce, and cherry tomatoes. They take up little space and are easy to grow. Each year expand the plot and experiment with some of my suggested crops. You'll live longer and enjoy life more. Try it.
Good luck and stay healthy.

No comments: