Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Couple of Positive Items

Two articles that I came across in the media this week caught my attention. Yesterday I read where California's largest utility, PG&E, is striving to save all its customers energy. On the surface that sounds rather oxymoronic. Utilities saving energy? Well, what happens is the Golden State will reward the utility with a large bonus if PG&E can cut the amount of energy their customers use. If they fail in their attempt they have to pay the state a huge penalty. What PG&E is doing is giving out free energy-saving lightbulbs in hopes that Californians will switch from their old incandescent ones to the fluorescent type. I hope they succeed. I'll be pulling for them.
The second item that caught my eye was that India's Tata Motors, the fifth largest automaker in the world, has unveiled a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon and costs only $2,500. It exceeds current and future European emission standards so it's enviromentally friendly. Right now the auto isn't available in the states. I wish it were because I would buy one. The vehicle doesn't have air conditioning or push button windows but who cares? As long as it goes from point A to point B safely. Other foreign automakers are following suite. Now if we can get Detroit to build something like this perhaps we can all inhale cleaner air. Hey, every little bit helps.

No comments: