Friday, January 11, 2008

Top Ten Crops (see prior post)

Garlic should be planted in the soil in the autumn of the year. By late summer of the following year they can be harvested and dried. Many gardeners braid them and hang the crop in a cool, dark place such as a basement. Garlic will keep for years and will ward off all the vampires in your life. Ask any garlic eater and they will swear they have never seen a vampire, which proves my point.
Blueberries can be easily added to the border of a garden. Some varieties can be grown in a large container. It almost a "must" fruit to grow because of its healthful benefits. One main problem with the crop is that birds also love the fruit so make sure that your place netting over the shrub.
In my Michigan garden I start my cabbage, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts in small pots and then transfer them out to my garden when the weather warms up. They are relatively easy to grow but watch for the little green worms called cabbage loopers that seems to appear magically on the crops. You can easily pick them off, which is better than spraying them with toxic chemicals. Don't forget to provide plenty of water for the plants. Harvest in the fall. The flavor of each improves with a frost.
Spinach is awesome in a salad. I place the seeds directly in my garden in early spring. The one drawback to spinach is that it bolts easily and goes to seed. One way to beat that is to harvest when the vegetable is young. During the growing season provide it with some shade and you will have more luck with it. I plant two succeeding crops each year.
Swiss chard is one of my favorite vegetables. Easy to grow, it's very hardy. I cut the tops and it keeps on coming until late autumn. The flavor is mild and chard it great in salads.
Beets are versatile. Not only can you eat the part beneath the ground, but the top of the plant is extremely healthy. Add the tops to a salad. For the bottom part, my wife peels the dark red crop, drops them into a pressure cooker, then pulls them out and adds balsamic vinaigrette, sugar, and onions for a real taste treat. Let the mixture set for an hour and then enjoy.
Romaine lettuce is much more nutritious then the iceberg variety. Easy to grow and rewarding to eat. Try planting some in next year's garden.
Raspberries, like all fruit, is necessary for healthy living. The benefits of eating fruit have been published endlessly so no need to elaborate. I have several mull berry trees in my backyard, which are juicy beyond belief. I planted grapes a couple of years ago and share the crop with all the birds in the neighborhood. So between the raspberries, grapes, mull berries, and strawberries we are all set. Veggies and fruit...there is no better way to eat. Try it and see what I mean. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: