Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Electrical Accusation

This is a true story. My wife and I are on vacation in Texas visiting family. After a long career in the weather business, we decided to take a two month vacation and reconnect with all six of our Austin-based grandchildren. Needless to say we've enjoyed the trip immensely. Before leaving Michigan we had all of our mail forwarded and yesterday we received a letter from Consumers Power Company of Michigan wanting to know why our electrical usage has decreased dramatically. I phoned the 800 number and after explaining the fact that we are on vacation I asked the representative do they also send out letters to customers who use TOO much power or do they only pick on the ones who are trying to conserve. The rep replied with a lame excuse about their concern that the meter might not be running properly. I politely accepted her explanation. After hanging up I realized that they might have been concerned that we were lying on the floor in our front room deader than door nails, so I was kind of glad I wasn't too hard on them.
Conservation has always been our motto. Waste not, want not. My wife and I knew that retirement was on the horizon so five years ago we bought a small (800 square foot house) with a large backyard and settled down. Each year we have replaced major appliances with Energy Star rated ones, installed a solar fan on the roof to lower our attic heat in summer, replaced all our light bulbs with energy savers, etc. It's a wise way to go. Our utility bills have dropped by about 30 % each year. We are looking forward to the next letter from Consumers Energy as to why we have completely dropped off the grid. Wouldn't that be nice if we can be rid of those people? Maybe one day.

No comments: